Saturday 19 April 2014

A Marathon Wrap. (no Snickers, please)

The Card Marathon is finished, unpacked and put to bed.  I've received a handful of reviews to pick over, and I'm doing just that.  Meanwhile, it's all unpacked and put away. Good feeling. Now to decide on if and when for a Christmas version.


Here's one of the most popular cards from my kits.  It's easy to tell this sort of statistic when you unpack the kits...because there aren't many left to unpack!  The text stamp is Quietfire Designs; you may remember that I couldn't keep my ownership of such a beauty secret, so it may look familiar! The other stamp is Stampin Up! I am particularly fond of this card, it came together terribly easily and proves again to me that I often start with text when I'm making a card, which is probably not the most obvious way to do it.  I also have a thing for houses, birds and birdhouses.  I have quite a few of each in stamp and die form. Indeed, I hadn't noticed that myself before now.  Oh, I seem to be revealing myself!


And this was one of the least popular.  It's interesting isn't it...Iove the (Hero Arts) stamps, but have a lot of trouble with the proportion of the 'label' image, and it seems I may not have it right just yet. It doesn't sit well on a standard C6 English size card blank...sort of floats about being not quite big enough to 'anchor' itself, and then on a square card such as this...there's overkill on the white space.  Which I overkilled with filling. I think. I'm not remotely offended by its being slightly passed over; that is the point of the Marathon:- choice, and trying to get cards of every style out there for people to try.  


This card was the second most completed (Kaiser Craft and Stampers Anonymous stamps) and was the one that managed to fool the most people.  Soft pinks, a few beads and gems and not a lot of text - not many people knew it was one of mine.  (See, ScrapLady Ally makes 12 and I make 12). Probably just a bit outside my comfort zone in terms of colour to be honest, but I do like it.  And I think it will translate well into other colours. I see greens on cream card stock, maybe a leaf in the centre instead of the circle....every one is a springboard for something else huh.  I find myself in the middle of making a card and think 'oh! I could do such-and-such with this' and off I go again; definitely one of the pleasures of stamping....no arduous re-drawing to be done simply to alter a colour!

So there's the three that I thought had the most interesting results.  If not for any other reason, it's useful to blog about them so that I have something to remind me of my thoughts over various styles!  

Have a lovely Easter weekend.






17 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia- I love the bottom one, quite right, it would work in so many colours. I think I've just been enabled- I NEED those stamps, lol. Like the first one, not so much the middle one- I don't think I could do anything I liked with the label stamp, although I love the shade of purple used!Hugs, Shaz xxx

fairy thoughts said...

Glad you've got itall away and out ya system. Mm the purple card wouldn't be my favourite either but the last one is gorgeous.. Have a great weekend I'm having eggs for breakfast tomorrow...... Choc choc ones of course ( if I don't heads will roll)
Janet

Nic said...

Happy Easter xx

Helen said...

Love the third card too, you're right it would work in lots of colours. Glad you've got everything put away, now you can relax... well for a couple of days anyhow! Happy Easter to you all.

my cup of tea said...

I love your cards! Especially 'your a gem' VERY NICE!
donna

Robyn said...

Thank you so much for using a Quietfire Design stamp in your Marathon. It means a lot to us and warms many hearts to see the designs so beautifully framed.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really like the first and last cards. They are stunning. It's very obvious, if I'm going to ever make cards, I have to get some dies.

In the US, if you have a square card, it costs extra to send. The high cost of postage keeps many from sending that type and size card.

Like others, I'm delighted that your marathon is over and everything is put away. Good for you. Now you can concentrate on IMPORTANT things, like having a joyous, stress free EASTER.

Sue said...

All fab, but the bird house is just perfect.

Quietfire said...

Awwww, thanks for using the Quietfire stamp! Gorgeous card! <3

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Love the little bird house. That (and the matching paper) is one of my favourite SU stamps. I think my favourite is the last one.

misteejay said...

I love your cards Julia.

The first one would also be a great starting point for, dare I say, a Christmas card and the last one in a selection of colours would be fabulous.

The middle one is a fabulous colour but I think if I had a 24 kits to choose from and a limited amount of time then it would probably be lower down my list.

As you are all tidy & packed away you can enjoy your Easter weekend - have a great one.

Toni xx

misteejay said...

Julia, I meant to ask - what die did you use to cut the panel that you stamped upon (first card. The old parchment look is fab.

Toni xx

Neet said...

Well, trust me to be contrary but I like the middle one. It's not my favourite (that's the last one) but I like the simplicity of the middle one - and, of course, the bunting.
Hugs, Neet xx

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

They are lovely, Julia and like Shaz, I particularly like the last one. If you want to use your own drawings, you could scan and reprint them and then you just change the colours. If you leave the prints for a few day, there is less chance of the line art bleeding. xx Maggie

Elizabeth said...

Hi Julia, they are all great cards and I do like all the stamps you used too. My favourite has to be the last one ... and I don't even do pink! ... I can see it in different colours too. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

found this very interesting Julia getting balance right is hard.. love the bottom card myslef!! Shaz in Oz.x

Anonymous said...

[url=http://tadacip.men/]tadacip[/url] [url=http://buyaugmentin.men/]buy augmentin online[/url] [url=http://clonidine-hcl.us/]clonidine hcl 0.1mg tablet[/url] [url=http://serpina.tech/]serpina[/url] [url=http://effexor2016.us/]effexor[/url] [url=http://buy-doxycycline.link/]doxycycline[/url]